Sorry for the disappearance. Long story short the month of April was crazy!! My parents have been visiting, my phone was broken for 7 days or more, and now I have it back!! I was also on a crafting hiatus in order to spend time with my family. We had a collective garage sale mid-May that I would say had a good turnout. Other than that, babies are doing well and I am back onto blogging.
My current project is inspired by these curtain tie backs found on the etsy shop BedBuggs. It began with getting help from my step dad to hang curtain rods in my bedroom to separate the master bedroom from the extra room space. I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time and I’m elated that we got to hang it. My curtains were purchased through one of my Facebook community swap meets for an amazing $10 for four panels of sheer lavender (still pretty opaque though). Amazing! Then once those were hung up, I bought the felt and started playing with the concept. Here is my tutorial on making the Dahlia Curtain Tie backs…
– Felt (color of your choice) 10 sheets of 8×11 to make one full flower
– Scissors, Hot glue gun
1. Start with the size of the circle base. I used a 6 inch circle cut from some scrap felt. It was a rough cut, but you could also use a plate to help draw the circle better.
2. Then start cutting the 8×11 sheets of felt into 4 pieces. Cut in half one way and then cut the two pieces in half again. So you should get 4 rectangles from the one piece. About 40 pieces total. I then folded the little rectangle in half the long way. Cut the shape of a leaf so that it is pointy at one end and rounded at the other.
3. After cutting out all your leaf shapes, heat up your glue gun and play with the leaf shape. Pinch two hills to make it scrunched up and hot glue both sides. I made 4-5 leaves and then started to hot glue them to the circle base. Once I got the first layer, I made another set of 4-5 pieces and then glued those on as well. On my first attempt, the second layer had the leave facing up (imagine cupping your hand so you could see the inside of your hand). This turned out great, but I wanted to try it both ways. I honestly like them both facing up and facing down, so I will make one of each!
4. The third layer needs to be glued in a standing up position. See from picture that it should create a moon shape. Do the same for the inside bud (fourth layer) and I would even cut the leaf shape smaller to fit snug inside.
5. Thats it! I let the flower dry 24 hours, then cut another 6 inch circle out of thin cardboard (reuse cereal boxes) and sandwiched a length of tulle between the felt and cardboard. This is dry also for at least a half day and then tied onto curtains. These have been tied onto my curtains for three days and so far so good!
Good luck with your Dahlia! I’m starting to love this flower